Skip to main content

What...Do You Want?!? I Have To Go Now.

In one of my last post, I wrote about how to have the "Proper FORM" when having a 1-on-1 meeting. On top of having a genuine conversation with someone and learning about them personally and professionally, you should also ask them these two questions:
  1. Who is your ideal client - "If you could only work with one type of client in this restaurant, who would it be?"
  2. Who is your ideal referral partner - "Who is someone that is working with your clients that could be your partner and not a competitor?"
I tell people, "These next two questions are the most important questions that I can ask you because this is how I am going to help your business."

The reason why I ask these questions is that whenever I am meeting with someone, I am thinking, "Who can I introduce this person to?" Either during the meeting or after, I will look through my database and/or journals to see if I can find any commonalities between this person and someone else within my Sphere of Influence. In addition, I am going to be thinking of them whenever I am meeting someone at a networking function or during a 1-on-1 meeting.

One thing that drives me crazy more than anything is whenever someone says, "I will work with anyone." I often hear chiropractors say, "I'll work with anyone that has a spine." This is true with most professions but let us be honest, do you REALLY want to work with anyone? 

It reminds me of the scene from the Notebook where Noah (Ryan Gosling) is talking with Allie (Rachel McAdams):

Young Noah: Would you stop thinking about what everyone wants? Stop thinking about what I want, what he wants, what your parents want. What do YOU want? What do you WANT?  
Young Allie: It's not that simple. 
Young Noah: What... do... you... want? Whaddaya want?  
Young Allie: I have to go now.
So let me ask you: What Do You Want?!!

As I was preparing for this article, I remember a time that I was having coffee with Paola Aguillon who sells Young Living Essential Oils. At the time, Paola had only been selling oils for a couple of years but has a very profitable business. I think it's because she has identified her ideal client. When I asked her who it was and I was almost floored because of the answer she gave me. Without having to think about it, she responded with,
"My ideal client is a professional woman over 40, educated, well-traveled and polished. She has grown children, is an empty nester or never had children. She thrives for excellence and looks for products and experiences that reflect that standard while embracing a healthier, more natural lifestyle."
Even though she has a very specific preferred client, she will still work with most people. This is just who she is most comfortable with.

Everyone has a target client. They don't talk about it either because they haven't thought about it or because they are afraid that they will lose out on potential business.  One thing that I get told a lot is, "Austen, I really will work with anyone."  My response to them is, "That is fine and so will I. But, who do you REALLY want to work with?" 

If you are at a networking event, and you are supposed to give an elevator speech, I will suggest that you examine the room and talk about a client that you recently worked with that will best fit the needs of the room. One of the most valuable lessons that I learned from Scott Carley - The Change Energizer is that you have to be specific for what you are looking for and don't talk in generalities. 

I have 2 or 3 types ideal clients that I will talk about and that I use on a regular basis. To decide which to use, I will examine the room to see which will have the best impact and hopefully it will allow me to make a connection with someone in the room. In fact, there have been multiple times that after I talk about an ideal client or a specific referral, someone walks over and says, "Austen, you mentioned X but can you help my friend that..." When you talk in specifics, it will instantly draw the attention of the room and they will often think of a potential referral, even if it's not the one that you talked about.

For example here is one that I used last week:

"Hi, my name is Austen Smith, MD - The Mortgage Dude. I was asked recently if there were programs available for people that aren't first time home buyers but haven't owned a home in over 5 years?  As long as you have not had ownership in a home within the last 3+ years, you could qualify for one of the first time home buyer programs here in Texas.

The referral that I am looking for today is a couple that moved to Texas from California and currently renting because they don't think they qualify for a home. 

Again, my name is Austen Smith, your friendly neighborhood Mortgage Dude!"

If you don't know who your ideal client(s) is, I would encourage you to look back over the last 12 months’ worth of transactions to see if there are any commonalities. If you are still finding it difficult to nail something down, let's chat and I know a coach that can help you.

In our next post, we will discuss the WAM, BAM, and WOMM of Networking.

Until next time, Happy Connecting!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Commission Altoids

Have you ever had coffee with a person and 5 minutes into the meeting you are looking for the nearest exit? It's not because their breath wreaks of garlic or coffee but because of "Commission Breath" and the sale that they are trying to make. In my previous article, I talked about how sales and marketers need to be careful to not have commission breath. Since January 7th of this year, I have attended 38 networking functions, have met over 140 new people and scheduled over 50 one-on-one meetings. There have been multiple instances of when I meet with people at an event or over coffee and they are so focused on trying to earn a commission that they forget the purpose of networking. One of my favorite books is Speed of Trust by Stephen M.R. Covey. In the book, Covey talks about how people do business with people that they KNOW, LIKE and TRUST. If the people that I had met with, had taken the time to have a genuine conversation so that I could KNOW who they are... lea

The ABC's of Networking

A few years ago, while attending a networking luncheon, I was selected to be interviewed during the “Member Press Conference” section of the meeting. One of the questions that I was asked was, “What is one thing that most people don’t know about you”? To the surprise of many, I answered that I am a "people-oriented introvert." If you are reading this for the first time and wonder why they are shocked it is because I am in the mortgage business and consider myself a "Master Networker". Every week I attend 5 - 7 networking functions, meet 25 - 30 new people, and have 7 -10 "one-two-one meetings". This is why most of the people in the room were surprised by my answer. Many were skeptical. The reason I have created this blog is that most people that are introverts really make some of the best salespeople and marketers. They naturally do no do not sell, they connect. Many people in sales think of Alec Baldwin’s famous quote, “ABC… Always Be Closing”, from the